Tuesday, October 15, 2013

New Nephew = New Quilt Project

My brother-in-law's second son was born in September. As soon as I heard it was a boy, I went shopping for boy-appropriate quilt material (I know gender shouldn't matter when picking colours but I was definitely going to make it all pink if he had been a girl. Sorry, gender-neutralism). I picked out a bright blue minky fabric for the back/border, and various complimentary fabrics for the "squares".  I really like the elephant one, probably because it reminds me of my favourite childhood blankie that had a somewhat similar elephant print. I also used a few scraps of material from previous projects. Most of the squares are a soft flannel-ish cotton, but I also mixed in some satin and minky so that it's more interesting for tummy-time, etc. I made the same style quilt as I did for my brother's baby, but this time I added a satin binding. When my bro- & sis-in-law had their first boy, I made him a quilt and added an "A" for Aiden. So naturally, on this one I had to add an "L" for Liam! Here are some photos of the sewing process:
Pieces cut & laid out



Front sewed together

Basting!
Adding binding
Finished!
Voila!

1 comment:

  1. So pretty! Love the little elephants! (Woah I wrote that comment before reading that you did too. WEIRD)

    ReplyDelete